Call for Papers: Special Issue “Salafism in the West: Major Issues and Debates”
About The Event
A Special Issue of Religions
Call for Papers
Guest Editor: Dr. Adis Duderija
Publisher: MDPI – Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute
Manuscript Submission Deadline: January 31, 2020
Salafism both as a concept and lived reality continues to draw attention among scholars from various academic disciplines. Most of the studies on Salafism have a focus on a Muslim majority context although there are studies that explore Salafism in a Muslim minority contexts too, including that in the West.
This special issue aims to bring together scholarship on any aspect of Salafism in the West from a variety of disciplinary approaches including religious studies, theology, political science and sociology of religion. Contributions on a wide range of themes will be considered. Possible themes/topics include but are not restricted to the following:
• transnational links of Salafi groups in the West;
• intra-Salafi diversity and fragmentation in the West;
• (online) debates between Salafis and Sufis in the West;
• Salafi group responses to the Islamic State and its ideology;
• post-Salafi trajectories of ex-Salafi Muslims;
• constructions of masculinity and femininity in Salafi literature in the West;
• (online) debates between Salafi and Shi’i Muslims in the West;
• in-depth examinations of leading Salafi scholars and/or activists in the West;
• Salafism in particular western nation-state contexts;
• approaches to citizenship and political participation among Salafi groups in the West;
• Salafi vs. mainstream Sunni apologetics/debates in the West;
• Online engagement/presence of Salafi groups in the West.
Religions (ISSN 2077-1444) is an international, interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed, open access journal on religions and theology, published monthly online by MDPI.
This event has expired
"Salafism in the West: Major Issues and Debates"