CFP: “Islamic Esotericism in Global Contexts”
About The Event
Call for Papers
Date: September 24-26, 2020
Venue: Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain la-Neuve, Belgium
Submission Deadline: May 1, 2020
The European Network for the Study of Islam and Esotericism (ENSIE) invites you to submit proposals for its 2020 meeting.
The aim is to consider the relationship between Islam and esotericism, and Islamic esotericism, in a global context, shifting the emphasis not only from Western perspectives, but also being more inclusive of the experience of Islam beyond the Arabo-Persian domains.
We encourage proposals that give prominence to the agency of non-Western actors in negotiating and challenging social, political, and doctrinal “realities” as they manifest in the writings and activities of esoteric groups and systems. The chronological scope thus stretches from medieval to contemporary times.
The meeting is organized by
– Mark Sedgwick, Professor of Arab and Islamic Studies, Aarhus University, and Convener of ENSIE, email@example.com
– Liana Saif, Research Associate, Warburg Institute, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Godefroid de Callataÿ, Professor of Arabic and Islamic Studies, Université catholique de Louvain, email@example.com
– Michele Petrone, Postdoc, Université catholique de Louvain, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Francesco Piraino, Postdoc, IDEMEC-CNRS – Fondazione Giorgio Cini, email@example.com
The 2020 meeting is arranged in cooperation with the ERC project on Philosophy in al-Andalus (PhilAnd), and the Université catholique de Louvain.
This event has expired
Université catholique de Louvain, Louvain la-Neuve