PhD Scholarship in Islamic & Middle Eastern Studies at Edinburgh
About The Event
Call for Applications
University of Edinburgh, UK
Deadline for application: February 14, 2020
The Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Edinburgh is delighted to invite applications for one PhD scholarship in any area within its expertise. The scholarship will be funded by IMES and will cover tuition fees for the PhD in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies.
Applications for the PhD can be made via the online admissions portal at the url address given below.
The award is open to UK, EU and overseas students commencing a PhD degree in the academic year 2020-2021. Only applications to year one of a PhD program of study will be considered.
Among the areas of supervision we cover are:
• Language and literature: classical and modern Arabic literature; classical Persian literature; cultural transmission and translation between Arabic and Persian cultures
• History and historiography: pre-Islamic Iran, early Islamic history, Ottoman history, modern history and politics, in particular Iraq, Iran, and Egypt
• Early and classical Islam, Qur’an and tafsir, hadith, the biography of Muhammad; Sufism; Islam in the Ottoman Empire
• Contemporary Muslim politics: Islamism, social movements, comparative social and political change in the Muslim world
• Arts and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim societies: particularly visual arts, Cinema
• Gender and sexuality in the MENA region; contemporary Arab media;
• Shi`ism: Shi`i history and contemporary Shi’ism.
Source: University of Edinburgh
This event has expired