Professor in Social and Cultural History of Islam and Islamic Worlds
About The Event
Call for Applications
Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Starting Date: August 1, 2018
Application Deadline: March 8, 2018
The University of Lausanne is a higher teaching and research institution composed of seven faculties where approximately 14,300 students and nearly 3,900 collaborators, professors, and researchers work and study. Ideally situated along the lake of Geneva, near Lausanne’s city center, its campus brings together over 120 nationalities.
The Faculty of Theology and Sciences of Religions of the University of Lausanne (UNIL) invites applications for a position as full professor or assistant Professor (tenure-track to associate professor) in Social and Cultural History of Islam and Islamic Worlds.
• teaching of bachelor level (introduction to Islam) and master level in the curriculum “sciences of religions” (currently field “Socio-anthropology and history of Islam”)
• supervision of PhD students and participation in post-graduate formation and continuing education courses
• active participation to the activities of the Institute for history and anthropology of religions (IHAR), and eventually lead the institute
• active participation in the administrative tasks of the Faculty and of UNIL
• dialogue with society in relation to the field of the position
Although courses are to be conducted primarily in French, English instruction during the first two years is possible.
The successful applicant will have a PhD in History, History of the religions or a title considered to be equivalent, should be able to demonstrate solid skills in the following areas:
• thorough knowledge of at least one language in the concerned field studies
• excellent scholarly publications in the concerned field studies
• experience in teaching in the concerned field studies
• excellent integration within international scholarly networks
• capacity to initiate and manage a research project
• ability to interact with specialists from other religious traditions
• openness to comparison and interdisciplinary
• interest in gender issues
The application must include: letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, date and title of the PhD, list of publications, copy of the relevant diplomas, name and contact informations of three referees (please attach letters of reference), and the five most significant publications.
Further information may be obtained from Maritza.Erb@unil.ch (Administratrice de la FTSR).
Source: The University of Lausanne
This event has expired
University of Lausanne