Religion and Belief
About The Event
Understanding Australian and Global Perspectives
Studies of Religion in Focus Conference 2017
Date: Mar 10, 2017
Venue: Mercure Hotel, 818-820 George Street, Sydney, Australia
The Studies of Religion in Focus Conference is an interfaith initiative to resource teachers in their teaching of Studies of Religion in both the Preliminary and HSC Course.
The Conference aims to broaden teachers’ understanding and experience through interaction with speakers and academics from different faith traditions specializing in relevant fields central to the Board of Studies SOR Syllabus I and II. This conference is tailored for teachers of both the Preliminary and HSC courses.
Completing this Conference will contribute 4.5 hours of QTC Registered PD addressing 6.2.2; 6.4.2; 7.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
The Conference Program
- Keynote Address: Contribution of Religion to Individuals and Society (Fr David Ranson)
- Workshop 1:
– Workshop 1A: Preliminary Course Judaism: Getting the Basics Right!
– Workshop 1B: Preliminary Course Islam: Getting the Basics Right!
– Workshop 1C: Examining Connections: Beliefs, Practices and Ethics across Variants – Christianity
– Workshop 1D: Preliminary Course Buddhism: Getting the Basics Right
– Workshop 1E: Preliminary Course Hinduism: Getting the Basics Right
- Workshop 2:
– Workshop 2A: Developing Thinking Skills: Live Classroom Demonstrations
– Workshop 2B: Examining Connections: Beliefs, Practices and Ethics across Variants – Judaism
– Workshop 2C: Examining Connections: Beliefs, Practices and Ethics across Variants – Islam
- Workshop 3:
– Workshop 3A: Preliminary Course Christianity: Getting the Foundations Right
– Workshop 3B: Developing Thinking Skills: Live Classroom Demonstrations
– Workshop 3C: Short Answer/Essay Techniques: Honing your students’ skills
- Closing Session: Feedback, Reflections & Lucky Door Prize
More information at: www.isra.org.au
This event has expired